Welcome to College

29 Aug

Well guys, I made it. I realize that I started college last year, but that was community college so it doesn’t actually count. This is real college. The kind you have to apply for and pray you get into so that you can pay a ton of money, get a ton of financial aid, be ignored for two months while trying to set up a schedule and then spend five days meeting new people who you may or may not talk to for the rest of the semester, but hey, at least you know their names, right? Yeah, that kind of college.

Today is my first day of classes at Geneva and so far they’re going pretty well. I haven’t gotten lost yet, thought that’s about to change in an hour and a half as I try to find my way to the RT building for Principals of Communication. What does RT stand for? Good question. Let me know if you figure it out, cause I haven’t yet. I learned that I don’t have to carry my Old Testament book to my Bible class but I do need my Bible. Go figure. And I know one person in my Spanish class. That’s one bright spot in an otherwise poor class choice. I didn’t have much luck with Spanish the first time, but this teacher seems more competent than my last so I might do alright.

I had kind of hoped my last week of summer would be a time of relaxing and preparation for the school year ahead. It was not what I had hoped it would be. Monday I said goodbye to my BFFs by way of going to lunch, looking at computers, playing Settlers of Catan and winning Apples to Apples twice. Tuesday I got my brand new computer, and made some vague attempt to transfer my stuff over from my old computer. I have no idea what I’m doing. >.< So I have some of my stuff, some of it, like all of my games and so on, are still on Auron and I’m not sure how to move them over. I still need to download a bunch of stuff on Seeley but first I need to set some other stuff up. At least I have Microsoft on here now.

Wednesday started Welcome Week at Geneva and boy was it special. I was supposed to take Mom’s car so that I could stay as long as I wanted. The Transfer students had this ‘late night option’ to hang out and get to know each other and so on and I kind of wanted to stay for it. Dad had to take the car first, though to get feed for his chickens and of course while he’s out the car’s brakes decide they want to mess with the rest of the car. So Dad has to replace them. Should be easy, right? I just have to watch the girls while he gets the part and replaces it in the car and then I can go. Well in the middle of curling my hair Dad comes in and tells me we have another problem. He needs another part for the car that he didn’t get and can’t get now that he’s taken the car half apart ad so I don’t have a ride to Orientation.  May I just say that I love love love my aniki Andy for giving me a ride! I would not have made it on time without him.

So I get signed in, go through the welcome, take part in some intro games, eat some food, play on a tire swing and stay out till 11:30 playing Apples to Apples with a bunch of people I just met and so ends day one.

Thursday starts earlier than I would like with my sister running around and her friend pouting in the living room. Everything goes well until it come time to leave aaand my bag rips. Brand new bag out of commission because the stitches on the strap were too weak to hold it together. Really lame. And so goes off morning number two. Luckily there were doughnuts to eat and cool people to chat with, so all was well.

After eating and doing a few other activities we loaded on a bus with the promise of a low ropes course which we had to sign a waiver for. After waivers were all sighed it was time to hike up the hill to the course, with all my stuff, mind you because I’m commuting and had to bring my computer in to IT to be hooked up to the wireless. Fun, no? Some team building exercises are done to learn people’s names and so on and then we are introduced to our activity for the hour and a half; placing 4x4s across cinder blocks so that we can get from point A to point B without touching the ‘hot lava.’ Sound simple? Not at all.

We had a group of fifteen, right? We start out all thinking and trying to come up with ideas while two or three boys try to lay it out. This doesn’t work so well. After a while people start dropping off, some without even touching the wood or the blocks. After half an hour we had lost half of our groups interest and it just went downhill from there. The problem with this exercise was that not only could we not touch the ground with either our feet or the boards, we also had to reset every time we slipped. We were given three free passes before we had to restart, but the thing is, those passes didn’t reset with the boards. So once we wasted them in the beginning trying to get the hang of the whole thing we didn’t have any left for the rest of the exercise.  We might have finished if the passes reset but since they didn’t we got nearly to the end and then had to quit because one board touched the ground. I find this to be quite irksome. The time was spent discussing what we did and why and how it made us feel. I was bitterly disappointed that we didn’t actually get to go on the ropes course, but I had fun with the boys so it was all good, I guess.

The rest of the day was spent at the street fair complete with games and bouncy things and a jail that you could put people in and bail out again. I actually really like the way it was set up. You played games to get tickets which you spent on treats like cotton candy and water ice or on face painting, tattoos and prizes. You could also spend your tickets on throwing your friends in jail and bailing them out. I got the bail my friend out of jail three times before she threw me in there. Some thanks huh? Naturally she had to return the favor, though, once she threw me in. I got to ride on a segway and a bouncy thing with the bungee cord and the harness and it was great fun, save for the chafing and the sore stomach muscles afterwards. We ended the night with a trip to Applebee’s and some rather interesting conversation, thus ending day two.

Day three was just odd. It was one of those days that I probably should have skipped except that then I wouldn’t have gotten to meet with my adviser or meet my department or go out with coffee with some new friends. We had a good time walking around campus and getting to know each other, though I’ve only seen one of said friends so far to day. I went home after getting the wrong time for the late night option tired and kind of cranky.

Saturday I slept in and it was glorious. I wasn’t supposed to sleep in, but at least I got one last good snooze before school began. One last bonfire seemed appropriate for the end of summer complete with mountain pies and the boys playing video games rather than watching movies. We had a good time, though, so that’s all that matters.

I slept over at Kylie’s and went to a picnic with her on Sunday. We ate foods that was good and then came home to watch Netflix, which was… very special. Home to get to bed a little earlier, up and out the door around 7:34 and off to my first day at Geneva which has just concluded and went better than expected. My teachers are pretty cool, for the most part, and I didn’t kill myself or anyone else. I would call this day a success. We’ll just have to see what the rest of the semester holds for me.


Posted by on August 29, 2011 in Moday Journal


2 responses to “Welcome to College

  1. Katie Hart (@waterfallbooks)

    September 12, 2011 at 9:40 am

    I absolutely love it that you named your computer Seeley.

    • Farkas

      September 12, 2011 at 10:47 am

      Lol, I thought it was a fitting name. c:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: